Great Bear Adventure
Zodiac Adventure - Duration Full Day 7-8 hour
Depending on the season Grizzly and Black Bears of the Southern Great Bear Rainforest are either awakening, or preparing for hibernation. On this adventure we travel through the Discovery Islands and the epic fjords of the Coastal Mountains, passing cascading waterfalls while exploring the estuaries and intertidal zones in search of bears.
We view them quietly by boat and watch them forage on the fresh sedges and grasses of spring in intertidal zones and estuaries! Their spring diet includes molluscs, bivalves, amphipods and tiny crustaceans we call barnacles. In the fall Pacific salmon are the first choice, however if salmon are scarce they will also forage on roots, tubers, insects, and Pacific crab apples among many other things.
As we travel to and from the bears habitat we also get to view many different terrestrial and marine mammals in their natural environment along the way. This adventure has many gifts for us, and every tour is unique.
Rates & Additional Information
- Adult: $255 + $3 conservation fee, booking fee and taxes.
- Kids 12 and under: $155 (8-12 years old) + $3 conservation fee, booking fee and taxes.
- Private: $1,555 + $13 conservation fee, booking fee and taxes.
- Gratuities are customary in Canada, but not included in rates and are at your discretion if you choose to tip your guide.
- Warm layers.
- A reusable water bottle (water provided).
- Rain Gear is a good idea on rainy forecasts, if you have it to wear under floater suits provided. Rain gear is not a requirement.
- Don’t forget your camera and sunscreen!
- Departures can be arranged for groups from Campbell River- Discovery Harbour Marina and Quadra Island – Quathiaski Cove (Ferry Berth) or Heriot Bay at Taku Resort, Cortes Island (Private Charters or groups of 4 people or more) at Manson’s Landing or Gorge Harbour.
- Please come 20 minutes prior to departure.
8 am daily.
NOTE: Departure times may vary depending on the tides for the given day, so we may call you to change the start time to enhance our chances of viewing the bears. If we do not call arrive 20 mins early for the 8am departure.
Choose a departure time that works for you, or email us to further discuss departure options.
Boat and Gear sanitation provided by Envirocleanse-A, also known as “Anolite,” is a next gen commercial disinfectant that is non-toxic, organic, biodegradable and EPA approved to kill SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 (CleanTerra.ca). For more information on our covid protocols see our covid safety plan in our Health and Safety Policy.
- There are accessible washrooms at the beginning and end of all tours. During tours, we can stop for bathroom breaks, but do not have washrooms on the boat.
- Due to covid we may not have access to public washrooms on lunch breaks. In this case we will offer intertidal and or bush walks for restroom purposes that include toiletries and sanitizer. Welcome to the Great Outdoors!